Nov 18, 2007

Kickin' It Off

Watch this space for chronicles of a daily bicycle commuter taking the leap into a car-free existence. I'll be posting news about daily bicycle commuting in New York City, gear reviews, sharing ideas, and chronicling my hack-and-build bicycle projects. This may also be leading to a bicycle-related project that will go far beyond just blogging-- but more about that at another time.

My day job is computer programmer, but I've been an active cyclist and bicycle commuter my whole life (having started riding to school), and I worked for six years as a bicycle mechanic. I've ridden a variety of bicycles, mostly lightweight racing bikes (and I even entered a few races when I was younger). But lately I've realized I am never going to race again and that my racing bike are an ill fit for my riding style. I have begun to really appreciate the design of the traditional touring bike and all the dorky gadgets that go with it.

My daily commute is 6.5 miles each way from Park Slope, Brooklyn to central Manhattan, and I average about 3,000 miles per year. I've built up a ton of tips and tricks which I'll be sharing here and I hope to get others to post their ideas in the comment threads. Let me know if you're living car-free, cycling a couple of days a week, or just considering starting out. With the cost of gas going ever up, there's no better time to get on the bike.

No comments: